Things that you didn’t know about Antivirus Application software
Antivirus Software Doesn't Fully Protect
Nowadays virus, malwares, Trojan horses, spywares and worms are being cleverly made by hackers every single day plus they move from one computer to another by themselves. They know to evade antivirus software’s especially if you have been using your computer or laptop for a while without antivirus or without updating your antivirus definitions.
Antivirus application software slow down your PC
It is for a fact all antivirus software's installed on any gadget be it a smartphone, tablet, computer ,laptops or corporate servers slow down the performance due to constant checking and scanning for any threat looming around to attack your computer.
They are Expensive
The best antivirus software costs a lot of money plus there is the yearly or a times monthly fee to pay to receive the services.
They are a hustle to use
The require updates periodically if not daily which they slow down your internet connection when you start up your internet every day. Plus the annoying pops whenever they detect a virus, Trojan or a malware.
Since they are many brands of antivirus programs they do not complement each other especially when you install free antivirus software and a paid one or a paid one with a paid one yet they fight a common enemy.
Having known the above then so next is knowing the symptoms of an infected computer but knowing whether your device has been compromised is very tricky because virus makers go to a great length of disguising their malicious software and a times symptoms of an infected machine are similar to a device that is not well maintained.Here are quick tips you can learn on maintainingyour computer before saying it is infected with a virus or a Trojan.
Symptoms of an infected computer
- The obvious one is when your antivirus pops that annoying pop up and indicates your computer is under attack.
- Your computer shuts down or restarts unexpectedly without your command.
- Your PC does not boot to windows even though no new software was installed or any software updates performed.
- Getting random Blue Screen of Death though this can be caused by a malfunction of the operating system or malfunction of hardware with in your device.
- Increase of CPU activity despite you doing nothing on your computer
- Slowing down of your computer i.e taking long opening Microsoft word.
- Your friends receiving random emails from you, that you hardly remember sending them.
- Your broadband modem showing traffic activity and yet you are not using it.
- Random sounds playing on your computer speakers.
- Computer programs opening randomly without your consent.
- Your personal firewall being disabled.
- Getting lots of system error messages.
- Noticing your files and folders have been deleted or changed
- A sudden computer freeze and your web browser behaving erratically.
What to be done after experiencing an attack
Do not panic it may not be a virus attack but perhaps a malfunction of the hardware part, operating system or a malfunctioning application software. Here is the action to take
- Disconnect your computer from the internet or your local are network before it emails itself to your email contacts stored on your computer.
- If your computer won’t start boot it in safe mode by pressing F8 as soon as it boot or use your rescue disk.
- Update your antivirus software and scan the whole computer if the threat does not disable you from accessing your computer programs.
- Contact your antivirus customer care website and inform them about your attack and follow their instructions.
- If you are using free antivirus software chances are they will not respond quickly to your problem since you are not a prime client as their paying one.
- If your updated antivirus software does not find any threat then check your hardware if not your hardware then uninstall any unlicensed computer program on your computer.
In as much as we are not fully protected from computer viruses, malwares and spyware programs by the antivirus software’s available in the market that does not mean they are useless. It is better having antivirus program than having none and getting attacked losing your precious documents, pictures or videos. Plus think of the great inconvenience it would cause work and money for fixing the problem.
Lastly practice safe internet browsing like avoiding free wares from un -trusted websites and constantly updating your operating system plus the antivirus security software.
Here is a List of the best and top antivirus software.